Job DetailsSkip to content
Manager, West Gas Origination
- Canada - Western
- Location (select region first)
- AB, Calgary
- Position Type
- Full Time
- End Date
- 30 Jan 2018
- Bachelor's degree and minimum 10-years work experience in natural gas mid marketing, origination and trading.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Demonstrate strong understanding of financial products, physical pipeline flows throughout Canada, California and Pac Northwest, and structured transactions.
- Existing strong relationships with key counterparties a significant plus (LDCs, Storage providers, transportation companies, producers and mid-marketers).
- Understanding of energy markets (crude oil, liquids, and power) also a plus.
Summary of role:
The Manager, West Region Gas Origination will be responsible for originating, structuring and negotiating energy commodity deals within the wholesale natural gas markets in Canada, California and the Pacific Northwest. This individual’s focus is to build and establish relationships with natural gas participants (LDCs, Pipeline operators, Storage operators, Producers, Marketers) with the intent to grow customer flow business as well as execute structured transactions (asset management arrangements, storage deals, capacity releases, park and loan, supply deals) with particular focus on growth of DEML’s asset portfolio across the West Region. The ideal candidate is able to utilize a strong working knowledge of the physical and financial natural gas markets to structure transactions to meet customers’ needs, generate profits as well as to capture arbitrage opportunities. He or she must have a portfolio understanding of E&P assets, LDC assets, pipeline grids, and proprietary position management within the specified region. The Manager will be working closely with multiple stakeholders within the organization (Sales, Power Optimization, Risk, Credit, Legal, Regulatory and Finance).
- Established customer relationships and proven ability to work with traders, credit and risk management to create products designed to meet the needs of the customer.
- Proven track record of negotiation and transactional skills in wholesale commodity and a strong knowledge of contract structures.
- Strong analytical skills as well as the ability to communicate and build long term business relationships.
- Working knowledge of the pipeline grid and natural gas flows within Canada and flow of gas from Canadian markets to US.
- Primary responsibility to grow asset base in support of Direct Energy’s C&I business, as well as supporting DE’s cross border activities with DEBM, DE’s regulated business and production company.
- Capitalize off of existing relationships to negotiate complex structured deals and transportation strategies.
- Establish new business relationships with energy related counterparties.
- Collaborate with traders to generate and grow profit margins and increase customer flow business with both markets and producers.
- Evaluate and pursue higher value added deal structures with customers (park-n-loans, capacity releases, transportation storage, asset management arrangements, and supplies with embedded optionality).
- Responsibility to achieve yearly profit targets.
- Evaluate and provide natural services for LNG capacity holders.
- Work with contracts and credit to negotiate contracts/ guarantees with potential counterparties.
- Back-up origination activities in other region as needed.
- Work with other Direct Energy staff to effectively maximize the company’s position and strategy in the market, including participation in market regulatory and policy directions.
- Comply with all laws and regulations as well as internal Direct Energy policies.