Job DetailsSkip to content
Senior Project Manager - Large Projects - Distributed Energy
- Location (select region first)
- NJ, Iselin
- Position Type
- End Date
The Manager, Large Projects will lead his/her team in the development of projects from lead inception through contract execution including site evaluations and proposal development, while providing technical, economic, and commercial input; application of incentive and rebates; project execution plans; cost estimates, budgets and schedules.
The Manager, Large Projects and his/her team are responsible for the timely and on-budget execution of projects, safety performance, project economics, project coordination across multiple parties including engineers, contractors, local utilities, and other third parties, technical completeness of their assigned projects, and reporting on project status to upper management. He/she also must further develop and maintain customer relationships during project execution and foster strong relationships and networks with our engineering, mechanical contracting and vendor partners.
The Manager, Large Projects and his/ her project managers will interact with internal groups involved in engineering, sales and origination, commercial analytics, HSES, legal, risk/ insurance, tax, accounting, and management, as well as external parties including customers, superintendents, maintenance personnel, engineers, contactors, local code inspectors, and utility representatives.
- Creative: Able to innovate, instigate, and assess new ideas
- Customer centric: Put the customer at the heart of decision making
- Technologically astute: Knows the technology sector related to distributed energy
- Organized: Able to coordinate and drive people to a common goal
- Team leadership: Works well in team environment, with sound negotiation and problem solving skills. Ability to delegate when appropriate.
- Interpersonal skills: Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally with other leaders on sensitive and/or emotional issues
- Performance driven: Demonstrates a keen desire to continually learn and grow. Motivated by successes. When needed, provides extra effort to get the job done.
- Communication skills: Excellent facilitation and presentation skills with solid communication capabilities and practices, both oral and written
- Influencing skills: Ability to influence stakeholders at various organization levels
- Self-starter: Demonstrates ability to complete work on own
- People development: Proven ability to grow team members for assignments of greater responsibility
- A working knowledge of construction, procurement, cost control, accounting, contracts, labor, operations, reliability/ maintenance and project economics.
- Ability to ensure resource availability and allocation
- Ability to develop detailed project plans to verify and track progress in project scope, schedule, cost and quality reporting and escalating to management as needed
- Specific experience working with a phased/ stage-gated project management process and system.
- Demonstrated ability to complete work, including projects, in a timely, organized and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated self-starter, proactive and ability to work without supervision.
- Ability to understand complex contract structures involving project management, financing, and commodity sales.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Science or related field required.
- Master's degree preferred.
- MBA desirable, but not required
- Experience with distributed generation, CHPs including gas fired reciprocation engines is a must, experience in the energy business as a whole will be an added advantage.
- 15+ years of engineering experience with experience in distributed generation, on-site power, demand management and energy efficiency.
- 10+ years project management experience in a large cap project environment that involves managing teams/ multiple project managers from project conception to turnover to operations across multiple product lines.
- Lead team in the development and flawless execution of distributed generation (combined heat and power, standby units, micro-grids, etc.), renewable energy, energy efficiency, and demand management projects throughout the North America Distributed Energy (NADE) footprint.
- Assist sales in the assessment of opportunities, development of proposals, including participation in customer sales calls, board meetings, public hearings acting as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) assisting with project clarifications and developing a comfort level with the customer regarding our capacity to manage and execute projects.
- Manage and coordinate all aspects of project execution including design package development, bid solicitation, contractor selection, contract review, HSES reviews and performance, on-site construction, utility connection, invoice approval, schedule monitoring, and customer hand-off.
- Actively support all HSES programs and all associated goals for exceptional performance through better management of all processes and procedures.
- Provide effective communication to all stakeholders including timely metric reporting.
- Review financial models related to projects, including project costs, monthly payments, efficiencies, fuel consumption, risks, and internal rate of return.
- Coordinate and direct the selection process for engineers/contractors.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of permitting documentation, utility interconnects, engineering estimates, budgets, scopes and schedules for proposed and approved projects.
- Oversee the management of contractor-performed engineering and procurement, including the management of all aspects of construction activities including labor relations, safety, planning and scheduling.
- Coordinate the development and resolution of project requirements with the responsible operations groups and corporate/ departmental staff functions, such as analytics, HSES, sales, legal, risk/ insurance, tax, accounting, planning and management, etc.
- Understand and comply with established processes, procedures and technical standards providing continuous improvement incorporating best practices (includes on-going participation in PIP – Process Industry Practices).
- Ensure proper project closeout including financial close, document turnover, record drawings, lessons learned, etc.