This individual will provide pragmatic and commercially-focussed data privacy advice across Centrica. The role will balance the needs of the business to manage data to drive business growth, along with ensuring compliant, responsible and fair use of personal data.
Search & Apply
Job detailsSkip to content
Legal Counsel, Data Privacy
- Reference Number
- UK - South (South East, South West & London)
- Job Family Group
- Legal, Secretariat, Regulatory & Compliance
You will be assisting the Lead Counsel – Head of Privacy with managing the global data privacy programme, including providing input on policy, standards and templates, governance, assurance activities, training and awareness and legislative and regulatory changes.
This individual will be delivering high quality expert legal advice on major business data commercialisation, transformation projects and programmes, new products and propositions, outsourcing and partnership arrangements, ID&V privacy and security issues, plus data sharing with third parties.
This role works with and supports internal partners responsible for managing personal data, including providing advice on data privacy risks across the organisation.
You will be negotiating data protection provisions with third parties, including procurement arrangements, data acquisition and data sharing agreements.
The jobholder will be advising on lead generation, marketing & customer contact campaigns, including the application of marketing preferences and managing data privacy breaches. In addition, they will monitor data risks and investigate, report on and recommend appropriate action for any identified areas of exposure.
Adherence to company values will be important in all day to day activities.
- Experienced data privacy specialist who provides pragmatic, commercially focused, risk based advice to colleagues in a complex, multi-product, commercial business.
- Qualified lawyer (or equivalent relevant experience) with proven specialist data privacy experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate in a non-technical way to commercial stakeholders, colleagues and third parties, at all levels.
- Proven ability to build strong relationships and influence stakeholders, internally and externally, especially with regulators.
- Commercial know-how – over time, understanding Centrica, understanding our Customers and strategic thinking and decision making.
- Specific data privacy certifications helpful.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing ‘Update required: Legal Counsel, Data Privacy R9928815’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.