The Senior Claims Leader is part of a team of claims handlers dealing with property damage and injury claims on a “cradle to grave” basis within the group’s self-insurance funds covering public liability, property and other classes as directed from time to time.
Search & Apply
Job detailsSkip to content
Senior Claims Handler
- Reference Number
- UK - South (South East, South West & London)
- Job Family Group
- Finance & Risk Group
- To administer claims within the authority granted by the insurer on classes of business as directed from time to time. To liaise with the insurer frequently by way of update on such serious claims
- To investigate and monitor developments on incidents which could give rise to claims
- To liaise with insurers, loss adjusters and solicitors as required, to assist in their investigations into claims
- To monitor the status of claims and claim types to ensure risk management and loss control issues are addressed, including public relations matters, newly developing claim trends and poor/ late methods of accident reporting. Such issues are to be notified to the Claims Manager immediately
- Negotiation to point of settlement claims within pre-agreed criteria
- The jobholder will be in frequent contact with claimants, sometimes in confrontational situations; the jobholder must display diplomacy and tact in these situations as they are ambassadors for the group and all must be done to stop an escalation of the matter. The jobholder will have to work on their own initiative in such situations and take decisions on issues of liability, where necessary, if this limits such escalation
- The jobholder has extensive liaison with business units internally, often in conditions where urgent action is required to dissipate a public relations issu
- Experience of Personal Injury claims and a good knowledge of litigation required
- Contact with the Customer Relations Department is required where incidents or claims are of a serious or contentious nature
- External contacts include customers and claimants. Additional external contacts are with insurers, brokers, loss adjusters and solicitors, either acting for the customer/ claimant or the group. A large part of the job entails speaking directly to the public, a task which requires patience, diplomacy and tact
- Demonstrable previous experience in a similar working environment or within the claims unit of an insurance company is additionally sought. Experience of dealing with personal injury, property damage etc., is essential. Attention to detail is paramount
- A good working knowledge of the legal process and legislation surrounding compensation claims is essential
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button. To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Chris.Powell@britishgas.co.uk typing ‘Update required: Senior Claims Handler R9927648’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.