Big Data Platform Engineer
- UK - South (South East, South West & London)
This role will be part of a multi-disciplinary team that is responsible for new development, feature additions, maintenance and support of a number of key components of Big Data products and technologies. This role and individual will significantly contribute to the Big Data Centre of Excellence within Centrica-British Gas.
- Ownership and accountability of the management and administration of the Big Data Platform
- Manage and own operating system upgrades and executing information and platform security on the Big data platform
- Plan, Manage and perform HDP upgrades, connected ecosystem product upgrade as per roadmap; ensure alignment between British Gas’s requirements and the new versions made available in open source technology partner communities
- Ownership and accountability of designing and implementing proactive capacity management, with responsibility for creating and managing estimation, recharge and prediction models, ensuring the provision of new Data nodes to expand the Big data infrastructure proactively
- Ownership of enterprise grade build, configuration, administration and management of the Development and Production instances of the Big data platforms and technologies implemented in British Gas
- Manage and administer British Gas Big Data service & infrastructure offerings acting as the liaison between the IT Enterprise, Solution architecture, development communities, Operations and the IT infrastructure groups across British Gas business units
- Ensures all components of the Big data service as a whole (and Hadoop with all ecosystem components in particular) is running normally and to SLA’s
- Troubleshoot cluster & ecosystem product issues as a priority with expertise & lead through to resolution
- Produce and manage advance workload characterization, benchmarks and metrics
- Become the first level go-to person for technical guidance, expertise support to consumer questions on operating services on the platform
Skills and experience required
- Background in IT infrastructure, large scale enterprise business systems & distributed systems preferable
- Hands on experience working within a Linux/Unix environment.
- Advantageous to have experience with running components in Hadoop ecosystem (Hive, Pig, Ambari, Oozie, Sqoop, Zookeeper, Mahout, Hadoop HDFS, YARN and MapReduce)
- Experience in building and managing NoSQL Database like HBase or Cassandra
- Knowledge of security models for Big data platforms (Kerberos, Knox etc)
- Distributed File Systems, cluster and parallel computer architectures
- Hadoop distributions (preferably Hortonworks), Map Reduce & Yarn o Databases (Oracle, Oracle RAC, MS SQL, MySQL etc)
- In Memory, Distributed Data Grid, cloud computing
- High availability and contingency solutions, workload management
- Multiple technologies including Java, C/C++, Unix Platforms and large scale implementations of programming theories/concepts with proven results
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing ‘Update required: Big Data Platform Engineer R9915701’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.